Wednesday, May 14, 2014

All About Albi - our Japanese Akita!


Hey there!

I will definitely admit that I am one of those people that are obsessed with their dog.  I can’t help it.  He is just way too cute.

Albi is a two-year-old full breed Akita Inu.  We have had him since he was three months old, and we got him when we were living in Springfield, Mass.  At the time, we didn’t know about the whole puppy mill thing, so we got him from a puppy store.  

Puppy =)

 Japanese Akitas are a separate breed from the bigger American Akitas with the black masks.  They were considered sacred in Japan.  Centuries ago, they were bred to hunt bears.  Albi’s favorite thing is the snow…he’s such a winter dog.  He’s got a double coat and webbed paws which help with out in the winter.  We realized after we got him that we would never be able to move somewhere with a warm climate because Albi would miss the snow too much.

Albi is an amazingly lovable dog, and Mike and I consider him a part of our new little family.  We make sure that he gets all the exercise and attention he needs (we’ve seen what happens if he doesn’t).  We take him on 2 or 3 walks a day, but sometimes we will go for a hike or go to the dog park instead.  We have an awesome dog park near us that Albi loves, and it’s a great chance to socialize him with other dogs.  Socialization continues to be a really important thing for Albi because he can tends to forget to play nicely.

Albi comes with us when we go anywhere and he’s great in the car.  Boarding is something that’s not cheap, so it’s nice that he doesn’t mind going places with us.  Both mine and Mike’s family love Albi, and he loves them too!  Mike’s mom makes him a stocking at Christmas and this year he even got an Easter basket.  My four-year-old nephew and Albi are best buddies.  Albi is about as tall as Ronin, which makes their games of tug-of-war really funny to watch.  Ronin calls Albi his “dog brother” which is the cutest thing ever.
Ronin and his dog brother
 What else can I tell you about my little baby?  We love him so much, and he makes us really happy.  He also helps with my depression because even when I’m depressed I’m forced to get outside and go for a walk with him.  I can’t imagine what our lives would be like without him.  He’s so important to us, and we love being dog owners!  He’s such a unique, cool dog. 

Thanks so much for reading and don't forget to check out my YouTube channel and follow me on Instagram and Twitter for adorable pics of Albi!

Later! =)

2 comments:

  1. He is too cute! I am definitely obsessed with my dog too.


    http://beautystatute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What kind of dog do you have?

      Loving your blog!

      Delete