Friday, August 8, 2014

Wedding Center Piece DIY: Moss Covered Vases

If you read my earlier post about my DIY pictures frames that I made for my wedding, you know that I was planning on making my own centerpieces. I had the idea to cover a vase or bottle with moss and have a few stems of baby's breath in each. I figured I'd put a few on each 8-foot table. To figure out how to do this, I used this project from Bliss Bloom Blog as a guide. I'm using them as center pieces, but you can also use them around the house as regular vases. I'm planning on doing that after the big day.

The materials that you will need for this project are:
a bottle
fake moss in peel and stick form (I got mine at AC Moore)
tape measure
acrylic sealer spray
scissors
marker or pen
ball of twine
1. Measure to see how much moss you are going to need out of the sheet with the tape measure.Measure how high you want it to come up on the bottle, as well as how wide to cover the entire circumference.
2. The piece of moss that you are going to need is going to be in shape of a rectangle with the measurements of the bottle. Cut out your rectangle.
3. Now little by little, peel off the backing on the moss and stick it onto the bottle. Be sure the moss reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle. I stuck on a few inches, pulled the backing off, stuck on a few inches, pulled backing off, etc. This seemed to be the easiest way to work with it because the glue on the back of the moss is REALLY sticky. When it's completely around the bottle, inspect where the seam is. If it doesn't look seamless, you can actually push and mold the moss a little bit to be sure not to tell. Also, if you're short on moss, you can cover up the hole with a little slice of moss and then just push and mold until it's seamless.
4. Now it's time for the twine. Simply wrap it around the top of the bottle and tie a bow. I wrapped mine around about 6 times, and by no means did it look perfect. I'm fine with that look.
5. I couldn't do this step today because it was pouring rain, but then take it outside and spray the moss with acrylic sealer to prevent the bottle from shedding too much. Let it dry for about 2 hours (or whatever the sealer spray bottle instructs).

And there you have it! I have to make 36 small bottles and 18 large bottles for my wedding, and I've actually made a pretty good dent in that. These are not hard to create at all (if they were, I wouldn't attempt haha)! Now I just actually need some fresh flowers in my home to put in these babies after the big day!

  Thanks for reading!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment